Yes, terrible things happen, but sometimes those terrible things-- They save you.


-- Chuck Palahniuk

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Thirteen - You Can't Be.


Aria arrived home from the police station a complete mess. The officer she met at the station had informed her that there had been a car accident and that Goku had been thrown from the vehicle. He died in the hospital. Aria shattered, heartbroken and speechless. Her life torn apart in mere seconds. 

He showed her a picture of the accident, Goku’s white truck’s front end smashed in and the whole vehicle upside down.

And then he had shown her a picture of Goku’s bloody and bruised body, asking her to identify him. And she did, her heart shattering. She couldn’t believe her first born child was gone.. forever. 


The next few days leading up to the funeral passed with Aria consumed in a mess of depression and drinking. She didnt know what to do with herself. Everything fell by the wayside except for her kids.


She avoided everyone. Spending much of her time crying.


Boston Rapture


Beckham Rapture.


Keely Rapture


The day of his funeral she called a babysitter, dressed in her black clothing, and headed out to the graveyard. When she arrived she noticed the open casket first, knowing Goku’s body would be inside. Her heart plummeted and she sank to the ground. 


A pair of arms lifted her up and she cried into an unknown shoulder.
When she had pulled herself together she looked up at the face that belonged to the arms she took comfort in. It was her stepsister, Mila.



"Thank you so much for coming, Mila.” Aria sniffled, holding back even more tears. 

“Goku would have appreciated it. He only got to see you once or twice. But he knew how much you got me through as a child.” She hugged her close for a minute or two.

“It’s not a problem, Ar. I was coming in for the wedding anyway. I just got to come early. I just wish it were for a different reason.” 

Mila’s eyes were full of sorrow.



Aria chatted with her stepsister for a while, trying her hardest but still crying on and off. She had never felt any pain like this before. She wished she could die too. But she knew that that wasn't an option. She had 22 other children to live for.


As Aria and Mila were talking about the accident, Aria saw bright pink skin and hair to match from across the lot. There was only one person it could be.

“Jay?!” She shouted, hoping to God it were true. Jayberri Creme turned around and threw her a huge smile.


Aria was about to return it when she noticed the tall, skinny, gorgeous redhead who walked up and took his arm. The girl threw her a snobby smile. And instantly Aria she was furious.

She stomped over to them and put a finger in the girls face. 

“What the HELL do you think you’re doing here, Kora?”



Kora looked stunned at Aria’s reaction. For a moment. And then she gave Aria a smug smile. 

“Jayberri invited me to the wedding, and since I was here already he asked me to come to this...” She looked around in disgust. “Thing, too. ”



Aria’s rage rose another 15 levels. She turned on Jayberri. 

“YOU invited HER to my SONS FUNERAL!? Let alone Gemma’s wedding. How could you do that Jay?!” `

Jayberri looked at her sheepishly. “I’m sorry Aria. I thought that what happened between the three of us was in the past. I mean, we were 16.”

Aria grew even more infuriated. 

“Do you think it MATTERS to me how old I was? I can’t trust this.. this.. skank anymore now than I could then! I don’t want her here. And If you can’t respect that, I don’t want you here either.”



Jayberri’s face was colored with a mixture of embarrassment and hurt. He took Kora aside to talk to her and Aria walked back over to Mila who wrapped her in a hug. Too much stress to take, Aria burst into tears.

“Shhhh,” Mila whispered, letting her go... She gave Jayberri a dirty look over Kora’s shoulder.

“He should have known better.” She said, her voice full of contempt. Aria just shook her head. “I don’t even care. Lets take our seats. It’s time for the services to begin.” She sniffled and pulled Mila along outside to the gravesite.


The coffin was closed and lowered into the ground and everyone gathered around the gravesite, the tombstone would be delivered later. Aria knelt beside the grave, weeping and Mila stood close by to comfort her.


The preacher ended his eulogy, and he left. Everyone was silent aside from the cries here and there. Even Kora was being respectful. His words were beautiful and weaved with hope for the future. And the thought that Goku was in a better place.


Aria stifled her sobs and as the tears slid down her cheeks, she bent to his grave and whispered: "I'll miss you my little monkey."
It was beginning to get dark, and Aria knew she had to leave and go home to the children remaining in her home.


So with one final look at his grave, Aria climbed into Jayberri’s car and headed to her babies.

Ezra, teen.

Kendyll, teen.


Rue Rapture


My beautiful Rapture Smores girls.


Boston, child.


Beckham, child.


Keely, child.


When she got home, everything was quiet. She paid the babysitter and thanked her profusely. And then she turned to Jayberri.

“I’m sorry i was so upset about Kora being there, Jay. I mean, Gemma’s wedding is one thing. Goku’s funeral is another. I don’t mind you bringing her to the wedding, I suppose. What happened between us was such a long time ago. But to be honest she still seems like a stuck up bitch.”

Jayberri nodded. 

“She still is. But I mean.. we had a baby together last year... And it didn’t make it. And I just haven’t been able to leave her after that. I would feel so guilty.” 

Aria stared at him. “You guys are together? Like as a couple?” She was incredulous.

Jayberri moved closer to Aria, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear. “We were 16, Aria. That was 7 years ago. I’m a completely different man. You can trust me.”

Jayberri shook his head. 


“We were, but not now. Jersey’s death tore us apart. But I just haven’t been able to not be around for her.”

Aria didn’t say anything, hesitant. 



She wasn’t sure if she believed him or not. But there was SO much pain. She couldn’t feel anything else. And she just wanted to feel something.. So she decided to kiss him.


And eventually it led to kissing in her bed.

As things got more serious Jayberri stopped for a second. “Are you sure you want to do this Aria? i don’t want to take advantage of you in this kind of a situation.” Aria snorted. “Seriously Jay? You were the first guy i was ever with. Been there, done that.”

That said, Aria pulled him in for a kiss and they spent the night together. For the first time in 7 years.

The next morning when Aria woke up, Jayberri was gone. He left a note next to her on the pillow. It read:

I missed you more than you know. I’ll be a phone call away if you need me. I still feel the way I always have. I already miss you. 

-Jay.---

So many thoughts raced through Aria’s mind. She had no idea how to approach this. She felt like she had slammed straight into a brick wall and she knew her decisions of the night before were questionable. She knew what Jay had done. And what he was capable of.

But she wasn’t even going to deny that she still had feelings for Jay. But he had hurt her more than anyone in her entire life. Would he really expect her to just let him back in? There wasn’t much chance of that. And to top it off, she was probably having his baby now.


“Jay, I need you to come by, I have something to tell you. it’s important.” Aria said into the phone as soon as the line clicked on the other side.

“I will be right there, Ar.” he said, hanging up.


Aria bit her lip, nervous. Jayberri would be there any moment. Her anxiety peaked and her stomach turned. She knew he would think this meant things were fixed. And they weren’t.

“Aria! What’s up?” Jayberri said as she greeted him. Aria stepped back and gave him a nervous smile “Hey Jay, I have something I really need to tell you.” She put his hand on her stomach. “I’m having another baby. And It’s yours.”


Jayberri’s face went from surprise to elation. “Oh my Plumbob! Aria, that's amazing! I can’t believe we’re having a baby. I cannot wait to take care of it! And you! And all the things we are going to do and what are you going to name it and are you going to marry me???” On and On and On he went.

He was talking so fast and excitedly a crease appeared on Aria’s forehead. “Jay.. Are you.. Okay? Are you still taking your meds and stuff? You sound .. very.. fast.”

Jay instantly looked offended. “What the fluff, Aria?! Why do you jump straight to that? I told you I am different than that now. I’m just excited.” The anger steeped in his words.


Aria laughed nervously. “Hey, I’m sorry, I was just curious.” She tried to diffuse the situation. “Look, I gotta go. I have an ultrasound in about an hour. I will call you and let you know what we’re having.” She took a step back and smiled.

Jayberri’s face lit up. “Okay, babe! I’m looking forward to it. I hope it’s a girl.” 

He turned and left.

Aria breathed a sigh of relief. She had forgotten how scary Jayberri could be. She sincerely hoped he was still taking his medication. Especially now that a baby was involved. Putting it out of her head, Aria headed to her ultrasound. Ecstatic to see what her new little bundle of joy would be.

She exited a couple of hours later with the news that it was a BOY!


When Aria got home from her appointment she was bursting with excitement about her news. 

As she was heading to bed, Rue stopped her in the hall. "Mom, I have something I need to tell you. And it's kind of huge." 

Aria was instantly nervous.

"What is it babe, Is everything okay?" 

Rue looked at her mom, her face flushing. 




"I think I'm pregnant."


No comments:

Post a Comment