Yes, terrible things happen, but sometimes those terrible things-- They save you.


-- Chuck Palahniuk

Sunday, February 10, 2013

28-


[Birthdays. Wooo.]
Avalon Rapture, toddler and child.


Everleigh Rapture, toddler and child.



Reece, child and teen,



Zephyr, child and teen.



Lawson and Anastaisia Rapture


------------------


"Excuse me?"

Levi said, pulling Aria closer by the hand he was holding. He looked at Aria and then back at Rene standing outside. Her smile faltered and then she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. 

"Are you going to invite me inside? I have been looking everywhere for you." Aria's mouth didn't seem to work, so she nodded. 


Carter looked at her for confirmation before stepping out of the way and letting Rene pass. He grabbed Aria's arm as Rene made her way into the living room.



"Do you want me to stay?" He asked gently. Aria nodded, still dumbstruck. She had no other sisters that she knew of. What the hell was going on?

Levi made a noise of disgust at Aria's assent and followed the rest of them into the living room. He was clearly thrilled with the prospect of spending more time with Carter. Aria sat on the couch, nervous. Rene looked happy as could be, like she couldn't understand why everyone was so confused. 

She smiled at Aria. "I have been looking for you for three years. I heard about your baby challenge from whispers on the street in Sunset Valley. Also about some girl named Danielle Smores? What a weird name." 

Aria narrowed her eyes. "That's my best friend." 

Levi interjected  "And my mom." 

Rene's eyes brightened. "Lovely! I would love to meet her." She grinned, showing every single one of her bright, sparkling teeth. 



Aria was instantly suspicious. No one was that happy naturally. She pulled out her phone and sent Danielle a text, which she quickly responded to. She would be there in a few minutes, she had already been in town doing wedding stuff. Aria put her phone away and bit her lip. The tension was thick and no one was saying anything.  Carter stood there, just staring at Rene with an apprehensive look on his face, and Levi was standing across the room. 

"So how exactly did you find Aria?" Carter asked confused. Rene looked over at him before directing her gaze back at Aria. 

"I asked around and found out you lived in Riverview. And then I looked in the phone book." Aria looked at the floor. It wasn't like that was a malicious answer, but something about the entire situation creeped her out.

A sudden knock on the door sent relief through her body. She jumped up and rushed to answer it, surprised to see both Danielle and Mila standing there, looking worried. "Are you okay? What is this about another sister??" Mila asked, pushing past her. "I thought Abbi and Jack only had you and Axil before I came along?" 



Aria nodded, still kind of dazed from everything. "That is what I was always told." She crossed the room and sat next to Rene. She had always been so much braver than Aria. Rene looked at her, confused. 

"And who are you?" She asked politely. 

"I'm Mila, Aria's sister. I want you to tell me everything. Now."

--

Rene spoke a story of unbelievable happiness and luck. She was Abbi's daughter from before her marriage to Jack, She grew up with her brother and step mother on a farm in Appaloosa Plains. They had tons of money, a huge house, etc. She had decided to move to Riverview when she heard of Aria.

 Aria was stunned into disbelief by the end of it. The resemblance was there, barely, but it was. She couldn't believe she had another sister. And she definitely didn't know if she was happy about it.

Rene left her number and new address with Levi as exited. When the door swung shut after her, Danielle immediately groaned loudly. "I don't trust her Aria. Not as far as I can throw her." 



Mila and Carter nodded in agreement. "I don't think you should have her around you, especially not alone. I will do some research on her at the station, but until then, only phone calls, okay?" Carter said, his tone unreadable. 

Levi shrugged. "I thought she was pretty sweet. And cute too. She looks a lot like you, Aria." 

Mila glared at him. "You WOULD say something like that."

 Levi scoffed and instantly became standoffish. "What is it with you and your attitude towards me? Knock it off, Mila. I didn't do anything to you. Your sister and I are getting married. You might as well get used to me." 



Mila stared at him icily. Then she turned slowly to face Aria, speaking only to her. "Let me just put this bluntly." She said, Aria looking at her in surprise. "I won't be at the wedding. And I think you're making a mistake." She affixed Levi with one final look and left Aria's house, slamming the door.

--

Aria gave birth not long after Rene entered her life. Babies 59 and 60, Carlisle and Cash.  She avoided her calls, ­­­­­­and when she did answer them, something just seemed off about the way Rene was. She was ALWAYS happy. About everything. It was off putting. She continued going to therapy and saw Bluejay there every time. He coincidentally had appointments adjacent to hers every time she went in.





-----
Aria's smile brightened when she left the office a few days after the twin's birth and Bluejay was there. Aria had altogether stopped communicating period with Levi. They didn't even sleep in the same bed. She was stuck and her life seemed to be the same thing on repeat day after day. She didn't even know if she wanted to get married anymore...

"Do you want to do something today?" Bluejay asked, interrupting her thoughts. Aria was surprised that he was asking, but quickly nodded. 


"Of course. Let's go." She didn't even bother texting Levi. He would figure it out.



It wasn't icy and snowy for the first day all winter. Aria sighed, tucking her feet underneath her. She and Bluejay had walked to the nearest bridge overlooking the river, there wasn't much else to do in this town, and it was beautiful here. 


"You can't avoid him forever." Bluejay said, sitting next to her, a few rocks in his hand. He handed Aria a few and proceeded to skip one of the ones he had over the surface of the water. 


Aria grimaced. "You don't know that that's what I am doing." 

He nodded. "Uh huh. And that phone going off every ten seconds gives away nothing."


She scoffed, pulling it out and switched it to silent, but not before seeing the 47 missed text messages. "He just cares about me. I don't want to deal with it, that's all. I'm not doing anything wrong hanging out with you, and he makes me feel like I am." He skipped another rock, not responding. 




"Sometimes I feel like he thinks I am doing every guy I see. Even you."

 Bluejay smirked, throwing a rock in the river, where it landed with a splash. "Well, you know, you ditched him again, to hang out with me. You're supposed to marry this guy and you two are never together." 

Aria shrugged. "Well, every time I AM with him, he is biting my head off. It gets kinda repetitive. And counterproductive." 



He nodded. And then he looked thoughtful. "You know what we could do today? Since it's not freezing? We could go to the skate park." 

Aria groaned and threw him a dirty look. "I am most likely the clumsiest person to walk this earth. Do you really think I can skate?" 

He laughed. "I can teach you." She crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. "Now you're literally saying you want me to DIE."

He stood, grabbing her hand and forcing her to her feet. "Don't be a baby, Aria."



 She gasped, faking offense. "How DARE you. Now I refuse to entertain your wish to murder me." 

He rolled his eyes. "Don't make me push you in the fucking water. Get your ass moving." 

She grinned and dropped the remaining rocks in her other hand into the river below them. 


Bluejay crossed the edge of the bridge onto the street and pulled Aria after him. Aria looked down, she hadnt even noticed he was holding her hand still. She quickly withdrew it after regaining her balance. He shook his head. "No worries, just making sure you don't fall and kill yourself."

Aria stuck her tongue out. "Nice looking out, man." He chuckled, picking up his skateboard from where he had placed it and they took off walking in the direction of the park. 


They arrived in a few minutes, and Bluejay instantly brightened, leading her over to a stretch of concrete. Aria was already apprehensive. This was going to suck and she was more than likely leaving with a concussion.

Bluejay sat the skateboard on the ground and looked at Aria, who casually looked away. "Ahh, come on. You're not even going to try?" Aria sighed heavily and walked over to him.




Bluejay held her hand and she got on top of the skateboard, her nervous tension increasing. "Don't I need a helmet or something? What if I fall and get brain damage?" 

He stifled a laugh and shook his head. "Helmets are for pussies. Man up Aria, I'm not gonna let you fall."

She made an attempt to move forward, instantly sending it out from underneath her. She glared at Bluejay. "I cannot do this." He laughed, bringing the skateboard back over. 

"You don't know that. This time I won't let you go, you can at least make it a few feet." Aria pouted but took his hand, trying once again.

Aria lost her balance and fell almost as soon as she touched it, landing in front of Bluejay, he laughed and caught her, steadying her.



 "Ok, so maybe, this wasn't such a good idea. I think you might kill yourself after all." She huffed , annoyed. She noticed he still had his hands on her hips from when he had stopped her fall, but she didn't move. He looked down at her for a few seconds, and then he took his hands away.

"I'm sorry," He mumbled, running a hand through his hair.

 She blew air through her teeth, embarrassed. "It's fine Bluejay. You didn't do anything." There was an awkward pause before Aria looked back at the skateboard that had made its escape with her last fall. 



"So are we trying this again?" She looked back at him and he seemed back to normal, a smile on his face. 

"I really think maybe we shouldn't, but if you think it's a good idea, why not. If you get seriously injured, It's completely NOT my fault."


She collected the board and brought it over to him. She noticed vaguely that it was starting to get dark outside, but she really didn't care. It wasn't like Levi was ever going to make her smile like this. Those days were long gone. She just didn't want to admit it yet.


The sun eventually set, throwing the park into darkness aside from the street lamps. Aria made it through the day virtually unscathed aside from falling all over the place and a few bruises. But Bluejay stayed true to his word and caught her every time. By the end of the night, Aria felt like a clumsy dork, but she also felt happy; and she couldn't stop smiling. 

Aria sighed, stretching her legs out in front of her as Bluejay smoked.

 "So what now?" She asked, knowing she should probably leave. 
He shrugged. 



"You have someone to go home to. Someone who is probably flipping shit." Aria looked at the ground. 

"Yeah, I just don't want to." 

He threw the cigarette on the ground. "You'll see me again Aria." He extended a hand, helping her to her feet. "I'm not going anywhere as long you want me around."

"Aria?"


 Aria turned around quickly at the sound of the voice. Carter made his way towards them, looking at Bluejay oddly. "Hey, Levi is looking for you. But i actually came to take you to my house. Mila and I want to have a talk with you." 

Aria looked at Bluejay. He smiled and nodded. "Go on, I'll call you. I promise."

He put the skateboard on the ground and got on it. "See you later, Aria." 
He issued a smile and then he was gone.



Aria faced Carter. "You and Mila? This can't be good." 

He laughed. "I wouldn't look at it that way. You might be surprised." 

He pointed at his car, which was parked illegally. Aria grinned at him, desperately wanting to make a sarcastic remark. He read her expression, groaning. "Yeah, yeah. Mr. officer breaking the law, get in the car." 




She giggled and made her way over to it. As she shut the door behind her, she wondered what was going to happen next..

No comments:

Post a Comment